Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2015 Governor's State of the State speeches
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2015 Governor's State of the State speeches (number of quotes indicated):
- Andrew Cuomo (17) New York Democratic Governor
- Bill Haslam (6) Tennessee Republican Governor
- Bill Walker (6) Alaska Independent Governor
- Bruce Rauner (4) Illinois Republican Governor
- Chris Christie (8) New Jersey N.J. Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- David Ige (7) Hawaii Democratic Governor
- Doug Ducey (6) Arizona Republican Governor
- Greg Abbott (9) Texas Republican Governor
- John Kasich (7) Ohio Republican Governor
- John Kitzhaber (2) Oregon Democratic Governor (resigned 2015)
- Martin O`Malley (10) Maryland Democratic Presidential candidate
- Mike Pence (4) Indiana Republican nominee for Vice President
- Nikki Haley (2) South Carolina UN Ambassador
- Pat McCrory (8) North Carolina Republican Governor
- Peter Ricketts (2) Nebraska Republican Governor
- Phil Bryant (2) Mississippi Republican Governor
- Rick Snyder (3) Michigan Republican Governor
- Scott Walker (7) Wisconsin WI Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- Steve Bullock (3) Montana Democratic Governor
- Terry McAuliffe (14) Virginia Democratic Challenger
- Tom Wolf (7) Pennsylvania Democratic Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Tom Wolf: Cut personal taxes 13%; fund schools by gas extraction tax.
Greg Abbott: Constitutional amendment to limits growth of state budget.
Martin O`Malley: Tax reductions & regulatory reforms to help job creators.
Pat McCrory: Tax & unemployment overhaul helped economic crisis recovery.
David Ige: We are spending more than we take in; fix the imbalance.
Bill Walker: Low oil prices mean millions in state budget deficit.
Andrew Cuomo: 2015 Opportunity Agenda: cut $1.7B taxes; add $1.5B programs.
Mike Pence: Amend state constitution to require a balanced budget.
Scott Walker: Wisconsin Comeback: lower unemployment and lower tax burden.
Doug Ducey: Problem is over-spending; so solution isn't more spending.
John Kitzhaber: State recovering from Great Recession, but not every person.
Greg Abbott: Wife is first Hispanic First Lady in Texas history.
Bruce Rauner: Create minority enterprise small business investment program.
David Ige: Follow the lessons offered by our host culture.
Andrew Cuomo: Pay equity for women; stop pregnancy discrimination.
Tom Wolf: Lower corporate tax rate by 50%, and close loopholes.
John Kasich: No income taxes on small businesses up to $2M.
Greg Abbott: $2 billion reduction in the business franchise tax.
Bill Haslam: Revenue Modernization Act: level playing field for business.
Martin O`Malley: Change Maryland's anti-business attitude.
Martin O`Malley: Repeal personal property tax on small business.
Pat McCrory: NC Competes: promote long-term job growth in global market.
David Ige: $10 million for HI Growth initiative to support innovation.
Terry McAuliffe: Made 267 economic development deals, with $5.58B in capital.
Chris Christie: $2.3 billion small business tax relief package.
Pat McCrory: Celebrate police who come back stronger after getting shot.
Andrew Cuomo: Raise the Age: prosecute 16- and 17-year olds as juveniles.
Andrew Cuomo: Recruit more minorities into law enforcement.
Terry McAuliffe: Restore voting rights to former offenders.
John Kasich: 50% lower chance of drug use if kids hear "don't do drugs".
Greg Abbott: Respond to the evil threat posed by drug cartels.
Martin O`Malley: Executive Order to address this heroin epidemic.
Pat McCrory: Let's Talk It Out: campaign to stop underage drinking.
Chris Christie: Drug addiction is a disease & it can be treated.
Tom Wolf: $15M for community colleges but they must freeze tuition.
John Kasich: $120 million student debt relief fund; plus online college.
Greg Abbott: Additional funding for schools to adopt high-quality Pre-K.
Greg Abbott: Ensure having the best teachers by saying NO to Common Core.
Bill Haslam: Tennessee Promise: two years of free community college.
Bill Haslam: $2.5M for SAILS program: math tutors for high school seniors.
Martin O`Malley: Encourage more public charter schools.
Martin O`Malley: Tax credits for contributions to private & parochial schools.
Andrew Cuomo: Invest in the teaching profession, plus teacher evaluations.
Andrew Cuomo: Ambitious P-12 agenda to stop NY from falling behind.
Andrew Cuomo: MA model for NY: receivership when schools fail for 3 years.
Andrew Cuomo: Expand charter schools: more lotteries; 100 more slots.
Andrew Cuomo: Full SUNY or CUNY tuition for schoolteachers.
Nikki Haley: Incentives for teachers, including tuition & grad school.
Terry McAuliffe: Don't wait until kindergarten to prepare for success.
Chris Christie: Tenure reform for failing teachers; merit pay for good ones.
Chris Christie: Choice of schools to meet child's needs.
Scott Walker: Choose schools based on objective info, not Common Core.
Scott Walker: Over past 4 years, graduation rates & ACT scores are up.
Doug Ducey: American Civics Bill: pass civics test like new citizens.
Doug Ducey: Classrooms First Initiative: end one-size-fits-all model.
Energy & Oil|
John Kasich: Raise severance tax on oil & gas from 20 cents upward.
Martin O`Malley: End the automatic gas tax increase.
Terry McAuliffe: Diversify our fuel mix with zero-carbon emitting sources.
Mike Pence: All-of-the-above energy strategy instead of EPA over-reach.
Scott Walker: Lawsuit against new energy regulations: save jobs & rates.
Doug Ducey: Moratorium on new regulations; and review all existing ones.
Bill Haslam: 35 million visits annually to Tennessee State Parks.
Steve Bullock: MT economy depends on hunting & fishing; let's fund LWCF.
Andrew Cuomo: $172M for Environmental Protection Fund.
Families & Children|
Bill Haslam: Response speed exceeds standard for Child Abuse Hotline.
David Ige: Government builds a home for our kupuna and our children.
Bill Walker: First Lady will chair Alaska Children's Trust.
Phil Bryant: Support Equal Opportunity for Students with Special Needs.
Rick Snyder: Adoption rate in Michigan is up 25 percentage points.
Terry McAuliffe: Children's Cabinet, and Council on Childhood Success.
Terry McAuliffe: Allow same-sex couples to adopt.
Doug Ducey: Serving Arizona: highlight volunteer and charitable efforts.
Andrew Cuomo: Trade mission to Cuba across a multitude of sectors.
Mike Pence: We're in a global war of civilization against barbarism.
Scott Walker: Terrorists are cowards who are afraid of freedom.
Tom Wolf: Create "Made in Pennsylvania" cash-back jobs program.
Andrew Cuomo: $35M for New York export-import program.
Nikki Haley: Trade mission to India to build S.C. ties.
Terry McAuliffe: Travel the globe selling VA agricultural & forestry products.
Terry McAuliffe: Rebuild shipping container gateway at Port of Virginia.
Martin O`Malley: Fair Campaign Financing Act for gubernatorial elections.
Andrew Cuomo: Campaign contributions only for election-related expenses.
Terry McAuliffe: $100 cap on gifts to public officials & families.
Doug Ducey: State government hiring freeze.
Terry McAuliffe: Restore the one handgun a month law.
Bill Haslam: Must provide health coverage, if not Insure Tennessee.
Pat McCrory: Healthy NC reform: controls costs & incentivizes providers.
Pat McCrory: Reform Medicaid based on NC plan, not DC plan.
Steve Bullock: Insure the working poor with federal dollars.
Chris Christie: Hold down Medicaid costs while providing focused choice.
Greg Abbott: Exempt veterans from state business fees.
Pat McCrory: Establish state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.
David Ige: Proactive and aggressive support of troops in Hawaii.
Bill Walker: Thank our military and law enforcement for their sacrifice.
Andrew Cuomo: $80M investment in emergency response.
Rick Snyder: 24/7/365 service to our veterans for benefits.
Terry McAuliffe: Foolish sequestration cost VA $9.8B in military contracts.
Scott Walker: Support for our military transcends partisan differences.
Greg Abbott: 500 new state troopers plus Texas Rangers at the border.
Bruce Rauner: Raise minimum wage to $10 an hour over the next 7 years.
David Ige: Make Hawaii farms more sustainable; above 15% level now.
Peter Ricketts: Grow Nebraska: create jobs by recruiting new businesses.
Phil Bryant: $50M for Keep Mississippi Working Fund & workforce training.
Terry McAuliffe: Workforce development package: apprenticeships and training.
Chris Christie: Focus on reducing unemployment but not government employment.
David Ige: Good hospitals must be distributed throughout the islands.
Bill Walker: Tourism produces 50,000 jobs and $4B annually.
Andrew Cuomo: $1.5 billion Upstate NY Economic Revitalization Competition.
Rick Snyder: Detroit has a bright future, but more work to be done.
Principles & Values|
Tom Wolf: Schools that teach; jobs that pay; government that works.
Bruce Rauner: Moral duty to serve long-term interest of people of Illinois.
Bill Walker: Don't panic when times are tough; make a plan.
John Kitzhaber: 36 years in government: state House; state Senate; Governor.
Tom Wolf: Stop paying Wall Street millions to manage PA pension fund.
Martin O`Malley: Repeal income tax on retired veterans; & later all retirees.
Chris Christie: State pensions cut by $120B; but $90B still to go.
Tom Wolf: Cut property tax; raise sales tax & income tax.
John Kasich: $3 billion in tax cuts for job creators.
Chris Christie: I will veto any income tax increases that come before me.
Mike Pence: Simplify the tax code.
Scott Walker: Reduced property taxes by $141 in 4 years; more coming.
John Kasich: Replace "Rust Belt" with Cloud computing and 3-D printing.
Greg Abbott: Proposition 1: the people have demanded $4B for roads.
Bruce Rauner: Competitive bidding at Department of Transportation.
Martin O`Malley: $25M more for road improvements.
Pat McCrory: Establish cabinet-level Department of Information Technology.
Steve Bullock: Create jobs by investing in roads and bridges.
Andrew Cuomo: $291M for road & airport infrastructure improvements.
Terry McAuliffe: $4.2M to compete for high energy Electron Ion Collider.
Terry McAuliffe: Launched Cybersecurity Commission & bioscience summit.
Welfare & Poverty|
John Kasich: People who played by the rules suffered; act decisively now.
Bill Walker: Unacceptable that so many Alaskans wake up in a cold house.
Peter Ricketts: People-centric services: hand up to get back on their feet.
Andrew Cuomo: Establish office of Faith-Based community development.
The above quotations are from 2015 Governor's State of the State speeches.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2022 State of the Union speech, plus GOP, Libertarian, progressive, & QAnon responses
- 2022 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2021 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Republican Party
- 2021 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2020 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2020 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2019 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2019 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2018 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2018 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: