Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2020 Iowa Senatorial race: debates and news coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2020 IA Senate race (number of quotes indicated):
- Eddie Mauro (19) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Iowa
- Joni Ernst (14) Republican Jr Senator Iowa
- Kimberly Graham (18) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Iowa
- Michael Franken (19) Democratic Senate Challenger Iowa
- Theresa Greenfield (43) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Iowa
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Iowa 2020 Senatorial debates and race coverage:
- Iowa Public Television (PBS), " Iowa Press Debates: U.S. Senate," Sep 28, 2020
- The Cedar Rapids Gazette, "Life experiences have prepared them, Democratic U.S. Senate hopefuls say," by James Q. Lynch, May 23, 2020
- Huffington Post, "Democrats Pin Hopes on Social Security in Iowa Senate Race, by Daniel Marans, May 12, 2020
- Telegraph-Herald, "4 Democrats facing off in primary for right to challenge Ernst," by Benjamin Fisher, May 9, 2020
- Marijuana Moment blog, "Here's What Politicians Are Saying About Marijuana Laws On 4/20," by Kyle Jaeger, April 20, 2020
- Ames Tribune, "Greenfield talks agriculture: virtual town hall," by Robbie Sequeira, Apr 7, 2020
- Marion County Tribune, "Franken seeks Democratic nomination for Iowa U.S. Senate seat," by Steve Woodhouse, April 7, 2020
- Sioux City Journal, "Franken says Democratic battle to oppose Ernst about to shift to higher gear," by Bret Hayworth, Feb 27, 2020
- Mason City Globe-Gazette, "A conversation with U.S. Senate candidate Mike Franken," by Jared McNett, Jan 17, 2020
- The Oskaloosa Herald, "Sit down with Iowa Democrat U.S. Senate candidate Eddie Mauro", by Tiffany McDaniel, Jan 8, 2020
- Newton Daily News, "Graham vying for Sen. Ernst seat," by Christopher Braunschweig, Dec. 16, 2019
- DailyKos.com, "Sen. Cory Booker (D. NJ) Helps Theresa Greenfield Get Ready to Defeat Joni Ernst," December 09, 2019
- Bleeding Heartland e-zine, "Eddie Mauro picks fight with Joni Ernst over guns," by Laura Belin, Dec 9 2019
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Theresa Greenfield Discusses Gun Control with Grimes Democrats," by Shane Vander Hart, November 20, 2019
- Iowa Starting Line e-zine, "Eddie Mauro Ties Activism To IA-Sen Campaign," by Elizabeth Meyer, November 14, 2019
- NARAL Pro-Choice America: "NARAL Endorses Theresa Greenfield for U.S. Senate," November 7, 2019
- League of Conservation Voters Action Fund, "LCV Endorses Theresa Greenfield for U.S. Senate," by Holly Burke, October 2, 2019
- Des Moines Register, "Kimberly Graham, lawyer for abused children, wants to 'repeal and replace Joni Ernst'," by Rekha Basu, July 24, 2019
- Rollcall.com e-zine , "DSCC and EMILY's List back Theresa Greenfield in race to take on GOP Sen. Joni Ernst," by Bridget Bowman, Jun 6, 2019
- Des Moines Register, "Democrat Theresa Greenfield launches bid against Republican Sen. Joni Ernst," by Brianne Pfannenstiel, June 3, 2019
- White House press release, "WTAS: Support for President Trump's Successful Trade Negotiations with Mexico and Canada," Oct. 2, 2018
- Slate.com, "The Crazy Republican-Endorsed Logic Behind 'If Trump Loses, I'm Grabbing My Musket'." by Mark Joseph Stern, Oct 26, 2016
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Joni Ernst: Don't think Roe will be overturned.
Theresa Greenfield: Always defend woman's right to make own health decisions.
Theresa Greenfield: Women should have access to safe affordable health care.
Michael Franken: Codify Roe v. Wade; fully fund Planned Parenthood.
Eddie Mauro: Fundamental right to make one's own health care decisions.
Kimberly Graham: Defend Roe v. Wade.
Theresa Greenfield: Fight to protect reproductive freedom.
Theresa Greenfield: EMILY's List endorses Greenfield for abortion rights.
Budget & Economy|
Michael Franken: Invest in infrastructure on scale of building of interstates.
Theresa Greenfield: Seeing systemic racism is not saying all cops are racists.
Theresa Greenfield: Supports Equality Act prohibiting discrimination.
Michael Franken: Ignored "Don't Ask Don't Tell" as admiral; protected sailors.
Eddie Mauro: Pass a 21st century Equal Rights Amendment.
Kimberly Graham: End the sub-minimum wage for individuals with disabilities.
Kimberly Graham: Expand tribal jurisdiction over sexual assault cases.
Kimberly Graham: Support federal anti-discrimination law for LGBTQ.
Theresa Greenfield: Tax cut benefitted wealthiest, biggest corporations.
Michael Franken: S&L "debacle" cost his parents much of their life savings.
Joni Ernst: Supported Republican police reform; Democrats walked out.
Theresa Greenfield: Address racism, but family cops are about serving.
Kimberly Graham: Ban private prisons; eliminate mandatory minimums.
Eddie Mauro: Legalize marijuana and release those locked up immediately.
Kimberly Graham: Legalize medical marijuana.
Joni Ernst: Proposed "know before you owe"; employers assuming debt.
Theresa Greenfield: Refinance student debt; find ways to work off the debt.
Theresa Greenfield: Debt free community college and trade schools.
Theresa Greenfield: Expand pre-K, invest in higher education, apprenticeships.
Michael Franken: Free community college; decrease interest on student loans.
Michael Franken: Increase teacher pay; improve rural education; expand pre-K.
Kimberly Graham: Raise teacher pay; end unequal school funding.
Kimberly Graham: Should be illegal for college loans to triple from interest.
Kimberly Graham: Opposes Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary.
Energy & Oil|
Joni Ernst: Fight for ethanol and biodiesel, not electric vehicles.
Theresa Greenfield: Bio fuels can be part of solution to climate change.
Theresa Greenfield: Fight for clean energy jobs; strengthen environmental laws.
Michael Franken: Addressing climate change is a national security imperative.
Michael Franken: Expand public transportation & electric charging stations.
Eddie Mauro: Net-zero US CO2 emissions by 2045.
Kimberly Graham: Supports Green New Deal.
Theresa Greenfield: Fight for strong clean energy solutions.
Kimberly Graham: Incentivize farmers with clean water initiatives.
Eddie Mauro: Works on Purify Project: water sanitation in Tanzania.
Eddie Mauro: Rejoin Paris Climate Accord.
Theresa Greenfield: Supports USMCA, expanding export opportunities.
Theresa Greenfield: Reckless trade policies have kept markets closed to farmers.
Michael Franken: Farmers want markets not bailouts; end foolish trade war.
Theresa Greenfield: Number one issue for farmers is regaining foreign markets.
Joni Ernst: Supports USMCA trade agreement to replace NAFTA.
Joni Ernst: Go back to drawing board to keep Post Office going.
Theresa Greenfield: Don't support packing the Supreme Court.
Theresa Greenfield: Get dark money out of politics; no corporate PAC money.
Theresa Greenfield: Don't privatize Post Office but examine their finances.
Theresa Greenfield: Ban corporate PAC money, overturn Citizens United.
Michael Franken: Post office must be fully funded & protected from politics.
Eddie Mauro: Campaign finance reform to rein in Big Pharma.
Eddie Mauro: Protect the right to vote for everyone.
Eddie Mauro: Overturn Citizens United; stop leadership PACs.
Kimberly Graham: Undo Citizens United; end Electoral College.
Kimberly Graham: End voter ID laws & voter suppression.
Theresa Greenfield: Supports background checks & gun violence research.
Michael Franken: Background check; assault weapon ban; restrict magazine size.
Eddie Mauro: Close gun show loophole; require gun owner insurance.
Eddie Mauro: Refuses donations from NRA & gun manufacturers.
Kimberly Graham: Repeal Dickey Amendment barring CDC from gun research.
Theresa Greenfield: Like many Iowans who have guns, supports bipartisan laws.
Theresa Greenfield: Would allow CDC to do research on gun violence.
Eddie Mauro: Allow CDC & NIH to research data on gun violence.
Joni Ernst: Purpose of Second Amendment is protection against tyranny.
Joni Ernst: Medicare-for-All would bankrupt rural health care systems.
Joni Ernst: Replace ACA but provide "backstop" for expensive cases.
Joni Ernst: COVID: I wear a mask in public, but mandate is unenforceable.
Theresa Greenfield: Medicaid expansion, but not Medicare-for-All.
Theresa Greenfield: Health care is a right; build in a public option.
Theresa Greenfield: COVID: I do support a statewide mask mandate.
Theresa Greenfield: Strengthen ObamaCare; create public option.
Michael Franken: Improve ObamaCare; add Medicare public option.
Eddie Mauro: Medicare for all (under age 55) who want it.
Kimberly Graham: Advocates universal, single-payer government coverage.
Theresa Greenfield: Expand access to affordable health care.
Eddie Mauro: Everybody needs to have health care in this country.
Theresa Greenfield: Take care of veterans with healthcare & jobs.
Joni Ernst: Legal residency for DREAMers; need bipartisan solution.
Theresa Greenfield: Pathway for illegal immigrants; legal status for DREAMers.
Theresa Greenfield: Fix immigration system; support DREAMers and border security.
Michael Franken: Pathway to citizenship; expand worker visa program.
Kimberly Graham: Citizenship for DACA & families.
Eddie Mauro: Fighting for immigrant rights near and dear to me.
Joni Ernst: Maybe index minimum wage to GDP, but not same for all states.
Theresa Greenfield: Raise minimum wage to $15 over time.
Theresa Greenfield: Strengthen unions, they built the middle class.
Theresa Greenfield: Supports a living wage; equal pay for equal work.
Michael Franken: Endorses a federal ban on right to work laws.
Eddie Mauro: Workers have right to unionize; update Labor Relations Act.
Kimberly Graham: Equal pay for equal work.
Principles & Values|
Michael Franken: Probity of character transcends all.
Theresa Greenfield: Shaped by growing up on family farm.
Joni Ernst: Consider all options for solvency; must be bipartisan.
Theresa Greenfield: Don't raise retirement age; make wealthy pay fair share.
Theresa Greenfield: Opposes privatization of Social Security & Medicare.
Michael Franken: Reform tax cap; raise benefits; no privatization.
Theresa Greenfield: Social Security personal, helped when husband died on job.
Eddie Mauro: Protect Social Security & Medicare.
Theresa Greenfield: Credits Social Security with support after death of husband.
Joni Ernst: 2017 tax cuts gave relief to 1 million Iowans.
Michael Franken: Eliminate loopholes used by wealthy & corporations.
Eddie Mauro: Those benefiting the most have an obligation to pay.
Theresa Greenfield: Wealthy & corporations need to pay their fair share.
Theresa Greenfield: Expand broadband; public/private partnership to get there.
Michael Franken: High speed internet access for rural and depressed areas.
Theresa Greenfield: Invest in infrastructure for broadband and bridges.
War & Peace|
Michael Franken: Foreign aid to one country can impact entire region.
Kimberly Graham: Increase service member pay & veteran's benefits.
Eddie Mauro: We need to revisit war powers role of president & Congress.
The above quotations are from 2020 Iowa Senatorial race: debates and news coverage.
Books by and about Senators and Senate candidates:
- Conscience of a Conservative, by Senator (R,AZ)
- Dealing Death and Drugs, by Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke (D,TX)
- The Essential Bernie Sanders, about Senator Bernie Sanders (I,VT)
- A Mandate for Change, by Senator Mike Gravel (D,AK)
- Milk Money, introductiom by Senator Bernie Sanders (I,VT)
- Off the Sidelines, by Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D,NY)
- Outsider in the White House, by Senator Bernie Sanders (I,VT)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- Playing Bigger Than You Are, introductiom by Senator Bernie Sanders (I,VT)
- Promises Kept & Promises Broken, about Senator Cory Booker (D,NJ)
- Quotable Elizabeth Warren, about Senator Elizabeth Warren (D,MA)
- The Real Romney, about Senator Mitt Romney (R,UT)
- The Senator Next Door, by Senator Amy Klobuchar (D,MN)
- This Fight Is Our Fight, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D,MA)
- A Time for Truth, by Senator Ted Cruz (R,TX)
- The Truths We Hold, by Senator Kamala Harris (D,CA)
- The Two Income Trap, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D,MA)
- United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground, by Senator Cory Booker (D,NJ)