Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2020 Texas Senatorial race: debates and news coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2020 TX Senate race (number of quotes indicated):
- Chris Bell (2) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Texas
- Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez (28) Democratic Senate challenger Texas
- John Cornyn (3) Republican Sr Senator Texas
- MJ Hegar (41) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Texas
- Royce West (23) Democratic Senate challenger Texas
- Sema Hernandez (18) Democratic 2020 Senate Challenger Texas
- Ted Cruz (1) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Texas 2020 Senatorial debates and race coverage:
- CampusElect survey (John Cornyn vs. MJ Hegar), September 2020
- WFAA TV-8 ABC, "LGBTQ organizations react to landmark Supreme Court discrimination ruling," by Jennifer Prohov, June 15, 2020
- The Hill e-zine, "Gun control group rolls out first round of Senate endorsements", by Julia Manchester, 06/09/20
- The Marijuana Moment, "Texas Democratic Candidates Running Against Anti-Marijuana Senator Embrace Legalization," by Kyle Jaeger, June 8, 2020
- The Texan, "MJ Hegar and Royce West Debate for Democratic Nomination," by Daniel Friend, June 8, 2020
- The Yale Politic e-zine, "The Mission at Hand: A Conversation with MJ Hegar," by Andrew Bellah, April 2, 2020
- The Austin American-Statesman, "MJ Hegar makes second political run, this time on bigger stage," by Nicole Cobler, Feb. 19, 2020
- The Texas Tribune, "How are the top Democratic U.S. Senate candidates in Texas different? We asked them 11 questions to find out," by M.Watkins, D.Cameron & A.Novak, 2/12/20
- Fox-24 KPEJ YourBasin.com, "Sema Hernandez campaigns on issues 'other candidates will not touch'," by John Thomas, Dec 23, 2019
- The Dallas Morning News, "MJ Hegar plays the combat veteran card," by Robert T. Garrett, Dec 16, 2019
- The Texas Tribune, "Democratic U.S. Senate candidates seek to ,get down to business'," by Patrick Svitek, Dec. 13, 2019
- KVUE-TV ABC, "Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez, Candidate for U.S. Senate," by Ashley Goudeau, December 1, 2019
- KXAN Austin NBC-TV, "MJ Hegar leads the Democratic candidates for U.S. Senate," by Mason Carroll, Nov 17, 2019
- KXAN-TV NBC, "Here's a closer look at Royce West's U.S. Senate campaign," by Mason Carroll, Nov 17, 2019
- KXAN-TV NBC, "Meet Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez, a Texas candidate for U.S. Senate," by Mason Carroll, Nov 10, 2019
- Dallas Morning News, "MJ Hegar rivals reject Beto O'Rourke's call for mandatory buybacks," by Todd J. Gillman, 10/30/19
- Politico.com, ""What people underestimate about a woman," by Olivia Altman, 10/24/2019
- Dallas Morning News, "Get U.S. troops out of the way if Turkey plans to 'ethnically cleanse the Kurds'," by Todd Gillman, 10/23/19
- Dallas Morning News, "Here's what the Democrats hoping to unseat Sen. Cornyn said at a Frisco forum," by Gromer Jeffers, 9/5/19
- The Texas Tribune, "New disclosures show Texas Sen. Royce West making big bucks from government contracts," by Jay Root, 9/5/19
- Dallas Morning News , "Activist Ramirez joins crowded Democratic race for Senate seat," by Gromer Jeffers Jr., Aug 12, 2019
- The Dallas Morning News, "Dallas' Royce West says his record sets him apart," by Rebekah Allen, Jul 28, 2019
- Dallas Morning News, "Hegar wants to use campaign funds on childcare as she runs," by Todd J. Gillman, 6/15/2019
- Press release, "Peters, Cornyn Project Safe Neighborhoods Bill to Reduce Violent Crime Headed to President's Desk," June 7, 2018
- ProgressiveArmy.com, "Sema Hernandez on Her Future in Texas Politics," by Geoff Campbell, 3/29/2018
- Houston Chronicle, "Q&A: Sema Hernandez," by Olivia P. Tallet, March 2, 2018
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
MJ Hegar: Politicians shouldn't legislate a woman's intimate decisions.
Sema Hernandez: Support Supreme Court nominees who will uphold Roe v. Wade.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Women, not politicians, should decide reproductive rights.
Royce West: A woman has the right to make decisions about her body.
Royce West: Pro-choice, but voted for parental consent.
Budget & Economy|
Royce West: End predatory lending practices.
MJ Hegar: Celebrated LGBT job protection decision as huge victory.
Sema Hernandez: End discrimination for sexual orientation & gender identity.
Sema Hernandez: End the exploitation of Native Americans.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Defend LGBTQ+ Rights, supports protective laws.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Combat White Supremacy and hate crimes.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Pass Voting Rights Advancement Act, make elections a holiday.
Royce West: Every person should have access to the voting booth.
Royce West: Pass Equality Act; end trans-phobic policies.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Real democracy a threat to people in power.
MJ Hegar: Corporations & wealthy need to pay higher taxes.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Increase funding for Small Business Administration.
Sema Hernandez: Break the oligarchy protecting Wall Street instead of people.
Sema Hernandez: Entitled millionaires are free-loading from us.
MJ Hegar: We have a mass incarceration problem.
MJ Hegar: Police brutality is not just "a few poisoned apples".
Sema Hernandez: End the militarization of law enforcement.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Abolish mandatory minimums & private for-profit prisons.
Royce West: Total reform needed at all levels of the judiciary.
Royce West: Reexamine the use of deadly force by police.
Royce West: Now for reform, in 1995 for 14- year-olds tried as adults.
John Cornyn: Co-wrote bill for data-driven cooperation to fight crime.
MJ Hegar: Absolutely for legalizing marijuana, expunging records.
Sema Hernandez: Legalize marijuana; would bring in tax revenue.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Supports the legalization of marijuana.
MJ Hegar: Government should not profit off of student loan interest.
MJ Hegar: Investment in public school is investment in nation's future.
MJ Hegar: Lower interest rates on student debt, ensure affordability.
Sema Hernandez: Opposes government funding of charter schools.
Sema Hernandez: Trade schools & public colleges should be tuition-free.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Make Universal Childcare and Pre-K a guaranteed right.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Cancel student debt; make public universities tuition free.
Royce West: Offer debt relief & free tuition for low income students.
Royce West: Investing in public schools a top priority.
Royce West: Free community college, not sure about student debt.
Energy & Oil|
MJ Hegar: Set aggressive goals for expanding clean, renewable energy.
MJ Hegar: Fracking not long-term solution, but against ban.
MJ Hegar: Texas can lead country on wind and solar energy.
Sema Hernandez: Green New Deal ends environmental racism.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Rejoin Paris Climate Accord.
Royce West: Reengage in Paris Climate Accords.
MJ Hegar: Make sure carbon tax don't increase food costs.
Families & Children|
MJ Hegar: Paid family leave for both mothers and fathers.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Paid Parental Leave keeps families healthy and happy.
John Cornyn: Supports using campaign funds for candidate child care.
MJ Hegar: Asked FEC to allow campaign funds for candidate child care.
MJ Hegar: Withdrawal from world damages position as global superpower.
MJ Hegar: Blaming China for COVID19 comes from "very racist place".
MJ Hegar: Supported USMCA; wish environmental groups more involved.
Sema Hernandez: Move from free trade to fair trade.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Smart trade policy protects workers, not just businesses.
MJ Hegar: Day one: work on campaign finance, ethics reforms.
MJ Hegar: Refuses corporate PAC money, endorsed by End Citizens United.
MJ Hegar: Overturn gerrymandering, fight voter suppression.
Sema Hernandez: Create uniform requirements for voting.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: No corporate PAC money, but other PACs ok.
Royce West: Government contracts raise issues of conflicts of interest.
MJ Hegar: Supports policies that are pragmatic & enforceable.
MJ Hegar: Eager to finally put an end to senseless gun violence.
MJ Hegar: Reverse ban on gun violence research by CDC.
MJ Hegar: For background checks, red flag laws; end open carry.
Sema Hernandez: Use Commerce Clause to regulate gun sales & manufacturing.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Advocates for gun legislation majority of Americans support.
Royce West: We must regulate deadly weapons.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Ban assault style weapons, pass background checks.
MJ Hegar: Ban assault weapons, but no mandatory buyback.
Chris Bell: Universal background checks; buyback assault weapons.
Chris Bell: Ban assault weapons, with mandatory buyback.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: We all want background checks & ban on weapons of war.
Royce West: We can legislate on guns when we turn Texas blue.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Ban assault weapons, with mandatory buyback.
MJ Hegar: Skyrocketing healthcare costs are unsustainable.
MJ Hegar: Make high-quality care available to all Americans.
Sema Hernandez: Supports Medicare for All; will re-introduce bill if needed.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Supports Medicare for All.
Royce West: Fought to expand Medicaid.
Royce West: Imperative that mental health services be included.
MJ Hegar: Provide Medicare-for-All as public option.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Every person should be able to go to a doctor.
Royce West: Expand Medicaid in Texas to cover all uninsured.
Royce West: Not Medicare-for-All, but health care for all.
MJ Hegar: We must mobilize against epidemic of domestic terrorism.
MJ Hegar: Will stand against efforts to privatize the VA.
MJ Hegar: Consider abolishing ICE; prefer better leadership & policies.
MJ Hegar: Asylum seekers should not be treated as criminals.
Sema Hernandez: Remain in Mexico Policy unlawful in US and international law.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Legalize status of DREAMers, other hardworking immigrants.
Royce West: Must address humanitarian crisis at the border.
MJ Hegar: Support DACA recipients, they represent the best of us.
Royce West: We've got to find a way to keep DREAMers in the country.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Fight for the rights of immigrant families.
Royce West: Putting kids in cages makes "my blood boil".
MJ Hegar: Supports rights of workers to unionize, collectively bargain.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Raise minimum wage to $15 and tie it to inflation.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Get equal pay for women through Paycheck Fairness Act.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Expand right to unionize; fully fund Labor agencies.
Royce West: Fully supports $15 minimum wage.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Higher pay and safer conditions for workers.
Principles & Values|
MJ Hegar: Reasons for becoming combat pilot same as running for office.
Sema Hernandez: Member of Democratic Socialists of America.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Every single family wants the best for their children.
MJ Hegar: Stop electing people whose lifelong dream is to be a senator.
Sema Hernandez: The time to break the Patriarchy is now.
MJ Hegar: Medicare & Social Security not entitlements, but promises.
Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez: Supports Social Security 2100 Act.
MJ Hegar: Use tax credits, incentives to support small business.
MJ Hegar: Opposed 2017 tax cuts for corporations, extremely wealt